Wednesday, January 11, 2012

What's love got to do with it?

I am not a Bible scholar or a very intellectual woman. In fact, there has been times in my life when I have felt well, "unimportant".... nothing special. I used to feel like I didn't have any specific thing that I was really good at. Who am I as a woman in Christ? What is my purpose?

"A new command I give you Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men (women) will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." -John 13:34-35 NIV

God hasn't called me to try to find something impressive about myself to show off to the world. He has called me to love. This is the purpose for every person who calls themselves "Christian". This is important. No matter how smart, talented, or pretty...when it comes down to this, we're all in this together. I first, willingly, ask myself "do I do this well"? I have known a lot of Christians in my life! I have been raised around Christians. And I probably have heard as many complaints about "Christians" in my "Christian" circle as anywhere. Are we loving each other well so the world will come to know God? Am I loving well?

I believe that we first have to begin to know how God loves us....experience it, in order to love each other. His love won't be contained. How can it be? It's too powerful, it's too different from anything we know. It will overflow out into the world around us. At first, it may be without words... it will be with listening, with kindness, with service. One of my favorite quotes is "Preach the gospel always, if necessary use words." ~ St. Francis of Assisi. LOVE is our calling! But how do we individually live love out?

What is the desire and passion of your heart? What gets you really excited? I believe the areas that you discover about yourself, are the avenue in which you are designed to love through. I challenge you today to take the desire of your heart seriously. Begin putting prayer and time into developing it.... this is your gift for the world, your purpose, for the glory of God!

Be purposeful, and ask God to give you a specific way to live love out today.

7 comments:

  1. A wonderful word and a "true one." He said that love is the greatest gift...it changes our lives and the lives around us!! We will get tested and challenged in this love...but "push through" for the fruit and rewards are well worth it AND we do glorify the Lord and His Kingdom!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out of the mouths(and hearts)of 'babes'!!! (We're ALL His babes, right!) Okay, so maybe you're not a very young child/babe but you certainly are helping me reflect this morning on this most wonderful and ALL encompassing New Commandment!! Glorify, Magnify yourself in my steps today! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God loves us...God loves us!!! God loves us??? We fail him, we mess up, we are like the Israelites and complain...yet he still loves us!! I think that loving others is easier than loving ourselves because we don't see all of their flaws and imperfections, but we already know who we are. I rest in God's promises and know by faith that God loves us because the Bible tells us so. Hope this made sense :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO enJOYing this sharing about God's love ladies! Keep it comin'.... may God lift up our heads to continue on a passionate journey towards Him and helping the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Joanne! You are experiencing some of God's grace and glory in you! It's exciting!!!

      Delete
  5. AWESOME Blog Amy!!!! I am so very proud of you and the awesome love that you share!! You truly are an inspiration to all and a blessing! May the Lord continue to bless you on this JOURNEY with HIM! Enjoy it to the fullest and don't let anyone ever snuff out your vision and passion to serve Christ to the fullest! LOVE Your BLOG girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shannon, thank you so much for your compliments of encouragement! It's been such a treat getting to know you and I love that you're on here with me!

    ReplyDelete